- Antonio Páez, (McMaster University, Canada) visited ECONRES and presented the paper “Como integrar aprendizaje de máquinas y econometría espacial para el análisis de precios hedónicos: un ejemplo de segmentación espacial de mercados en tres ciudades españolas”, July 8, 2019.
- Patricio Aroca (Adolfo Ibáñez University, Chile) and Mónica Navarrete (University of Tarapacá, Chile) visited ECONRES to work in some research projects about origin-destination flow models and academic talent, respectively. They joined the team for our summer dinner. June 30, 2019.
- IDEA Project of Fundación Juan XXIII-Roncalli for mentally handicapped people has come to an end. Three disruptive ‘ideas’ were finally selected and developed. We attended the final meeting, which took place on June 27.
- Coro Chasco and Julie Le Gallo have published a paper co-authored with Fernando López, in The Annals of Regional Science, entitled ‘Testing for spatial group-wise heteroskedasticity in spatial autocorrelation regression models: Lagrange multiplier scan tests’. June 24, 2019.
- Ruiz and Coro Chasco write about BiciMAD activity in the city of Madrid in the ABC blog ‘La Riqueza de las Regiones’. June 17, 2019.
- Coro Chasco visits Radio Rocalli representing the UAM-team in the IDEA Project of Fundación Juan XXIII-Roncalli for mentally handicapped people. The interview has been uploaded to the Facebook site of the Fundación and broadcasted by Cope Radio. May, 2019.
- Ludo Peeters visited the University of Tarapacá (Arica, Chile) and Catholic University of the North (La Serena, Chile) to give corresponding workshops on Spatial Econometrics with Stata. It was a nice and productive visit to our colleagues, Juan Luis Quiroz and Andrés Vallone. April, 2019.
- Juan Aparici joined the ECONRES group as an associate researcher to collaborate in different projects and courses. Juan is an independent consultant in Geoform. He is an expert in GIS and geomarketing. During the 90s, he was Managing Director in MapInfo Co. Later, we worked for ESRI Geosystems, Indra and DIGI, among other companies. Welcome!
- Carles Méndez-Ortega, (Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain) visited ECONRES and presented the paper ‘Place the ‘Candy’ and ‘Crush’ it: Entry determinants of the Software and Video games firms in Barcelona. March 29, 2019
- Alejandro Martínez Marquina and Christina Allison Kent (Stanford University, USA) visited ECONRES and presented the paper “Estimating the impact of the national lottery on the Spanish local economic outcomes”, March 6, 2019.
- Minerva Centeno joined the ECONRES group to work in the Project eS-MiData (Spatial microdata: generation, analysis and online publication), financed by the Region of Madrid. Minerva holds a BA in Geography (University of Oviedo) and a Master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems from the University of Alcalá de Henares. She will be working with us from March 1, 2019 to February 28, 2020. Welcome!
- Arslan Mazouni, Data Scientist, Consultant Senior Risk Management, RBM (Paris, France), visited ECONRES and presented the paper “El reto de los datos no estructurados en “Big Data”: datos observacionales versus datos intervencionales”, February 27, 2019.
- Defense of Andrés Vallone‘s Doctoral Thesis at the Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM) entitled: “Geocomputation methods for spatial economic analysis“. The Thesis Committee included Professors Geoffrey Hewings (University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign), Román Mínguez (University of Castile-La Mancha) and Luis Collado (UAM). He obtained the maximum degree, Excellent Cum Laude, with the mention of International Doctoral Studies. Madrid, 18 of February, 2019.
- ECONRES professors give the course “Spatial econometric analysis with STATA and R”, which was attended by 20 students from many Spanish regions and abroad, February 11-15, 2019.
- The ECONRES group participates in the IDEA Project of Fundación Juan XXIII-Roncalli for mentally handicapped people. This Project is devoted to identify new solutions and ‘ideas’ to create good-quality jobs for mentally handicapped workers, taking advantage of new technologies. Coro Chasco is the Principal Investigator of the ‘Logistics and e-commerce’ group. The participants are main companies like Gonvarri, Enagás and Sacyr (‘Energy’ group), Bombardier and Correos (‘Logistics and e-commerce’), Alcampo, Compagnie Frutiere and Coca-Cola (‘Food industry’), Indra, CT Ingenieros, Observatorio 4.0, Fujitsu, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universidad Politécnica and Tart Cube (advissors and expert group). The Project will take place from January 29 to June 27, 2019. We attended the kick-off meeting , which took place on January 29.